Now there was a man in their synagogue with an unclean spirit. And he cried out, saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!”
But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet, and come out of him!” And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him and cried out with a loud voice, he came out of him. Then they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him.” (Mark 1:23-27)
- Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- There are corresponding spirits that line up with sins of our flesh…
- Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. 
- give no opportunity to the devil. ESV
- and do not give the devil a foothold. NIV
- Ex. fingers and how they attachSo, anyone who is in this body, walking around within this world and all it’s temptations, will battle with the demonsLet’s note a few things from the Demon Encounter:
- Truth Encounter led to a Power Encounter. Let me explain. Jesus spoke with authority! It was the speaking of truth and righteousness that aroused the demon
- When truth is proclaimed, when God’s word is taught with authority from the Holy Spirit, demons get aroused
- Demons don’t like truth!
- Churches that don’t depend on truth from God’s word are missing authority
- Spiritual Authority brings order out of chaos
- We might call this an “Authority Encounter”
- Jesus walked in spiritual authority because of his relationship with his father
- As we walk closer in our intimacy with God, the greater will be our impact in other people’s lives
- Our personal authority or office or position is limited in its scope and influence
- Manmade authority doesn’t have any power over spiritual authorities and powers
- God anointed spiritual authority has power over principalities and powers
- When Jesus cleans house, he makes the demons get quiet and get out
- This is now a “Power Encounter”
- Jesus told the demon to shut up and get out
- Jesus has no interest in having a conversation with a spirit of darkness
- Jesus’ only interest in getting the demon out and cleaning out the house
- Cleaning House means that the house gets swept, old magazines get put away, furniture gets dusted, generally speaking order is restored from chaos
- Truth EncounteràAuthority EncounteràPower Encounter
 The New King James Version. 1982 (Ga 5:19–21). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
 The New King James Version. 1982 (Eph 4:25–27). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.