Charles Dickens wrote, “It was the worst of times, it was the age of foolishness, it was the season of darkness, and it was the winter of despair.” 2020 saw an unraveling of American culture. We are a nation reeling from this past year. We are a shaken society.
The unraveling began with a virus, Covid-19, that affects less than 1% of the entire population in any significant way. It became the spark to a slew of troubles:
- Across the country, small businesses shut their doors forever. Unprecedented unemployment marched through our shuttered economy.
- Families voluntarily imprisoned themselves in a desperate attempt to shield themselves from a sickness that will impact 99% of the population like a strain of flu.
- The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave became the Land of the Enslaved and the Home of the Fearful.
- The virus hastened the already brewing division and breakdown of trust within the American population. Families, friends, and neighbors divided on the issue of masks, lockdowns, and vaccines.
- The virus spawned a ticking time bomb of bored, lonely, unemployed, and indoctrinated young people that the killing of George Floyd ignited.
- Rioting, violence, and lawlessness ruled over American streets all summer as politicians chastised, disenfranchised, and embarrassed the only group of people who could stop the violence – police officers.
The troubles continued with a presidential election marred by accusations of voter fraud, Big Tech censorship of dissident voices, and a mainstream media not only unwilling to investigate manifest corruption in our society but actively covering up the corruption and censoring truth tellers. To any caring observer, to any sociological aware onlooker, America seems to be morally and ethically unraveling at the seams.
2020 was also, to quote Dickens, “the best of times.” This past year was not only a year of unraveling, but a year of uncovering.
Tough times are a blessing in disguise; they reveal the true colors of the people around us. Obstacles always provide opportunities to grow, learn, and test our mettle. Difficulties reveal the true convictions and moxie of our leaders. The theme of this past year might be described best in Daniel’s response to Nebuchadnezzar,
And He changes the times and the seasons;
He removes kings and raises up kings;
He gives wisdom to the wise
And knowledge to those who have understanding.
He reveals deep and secret things;
He knows what is in the darkness,
And light dwells with Him. (Daniel 2:21-22)
- There has been an uncovering of a “Deep State” in U.S. government bureaucrats, Intelligence networks, and Big Tech companies vying for power and control of our nation.
- There is an uncovering of the growing influence of Communist China in our government, in Hollywood, and in international organizations, like the World Health Organization and the United Nations.
- There is an uncovering of a cowering American Evangelical Church that is willing to follow whatever the government dictates and is fearful of making waves with their members or the mainstream narrative.
A New Kind of American
- But there is also an uncovering of a new kind of American. A gritty, intellectually savvy, politically smart, media aware, and spiritually empowered person who is not easily bullied. A class of men and women who still love our nation, our constitution, and our God.
- There is a growing army of bloggers, vloggers, and podcasters that care deeply about the future of America and are willing to do the investigative reporting once done by the mainstream media.
- It is because of their work that much is being uncovered about the truth behind the Coronavirus, who is on the dole with China, Big Tech manipulation, and the Liberal Elite Marxists-oriented agenda to take over our nation.
- There is a growing class of patriotic, freedom loving young leaders like Charlie Kirk, Candace Owens, Ben Shapiro, and Rachel Bovard, who are challenging the mainstream agenda.
- There are also a growing number of outspoken politicians that have actually read the U.S. Constitution, believe in the foundational principles of our country, and have passion for a republic built “for the people and by the people.”
- There is a flourishing intra-church, interdenominational church movement of leaders refusing to drift along with the cultural current. A forceful church that believes in bringing about a Kingdom of God Revolution in our nation.
- There are a growing number of pastors who care more about integrity, righteousness, and upholding the Constitution and the truths of the Bible, than falling in line with the comfortable cultural narrative.
- There is a powerful prayer and fasting movement that is holding large scale prayer gatherings, small prayer meetings, using skype and zoom to all parts of the world—constantly praying for our president, our nation, and a deep belief in 2 Chronicles 7:14, “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
At The Road, we have conducted Noonday Prayer for over 100 days now. We believe God wants to ignite a Kingdom of God Revolution in our time. Don’t give up! The work has just begun. May this coming year, as difficult as it may become, turn out to be the best year of our lives. More on that next time.
Full of Faith,