Let’s be honest about what’s happening in America. We are under the Judgment of God! Our nation has been in a free-fall morally and spiritually for the past fifty years. The cancer is eating away at the very fabric of our culture.
The Apostle Paul describes the process of a decaying culture in Romans 1:18-32. Observing the Roman culture at the time, the Holy Spirit gives Paul insight into a demonic process by which nations decay from within. I believe this is an accurate picture of how the Enemy is working in America today.
The erosion of culture is in correlation to the evolution of sin. As a nation of people allow more and more sin, the culture itself decays. There is a release of God’s wrath upon a people. In Paul’s letter to the Romans, one notices in each case, that it is the free choice of the people that leads to the eventual ruin of a nation.
First, there is the “Suppression of truth in unrighteousness,” (Romans 1:18). People know there is a God and they can see the effects of God through creation, goodness, love and beauty, but they choose to suppress it. The Wrath of God is revealed from heaven towards a nation, as that people give themselves to repressing truth. Values are thrown into disarray as the culture embraces the lies and deception of Satan. The result is that the people “Become futile in their thoughts” and confusion reigns as to the standards of right and wrong. Good becomes evil and evil becomes good. Foolishness is enthroned and the people are led into confusion.
Second, “God gives them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies,” (Romans 1:24). The loss of any moral thinking leads to the loss of moral living and a “Sexual Revolution” takes over society.
Third, “God gives them over to vile passions,” (Romans 1:26) leading to further, unnatural sexual activity. The “Sexual Revolution” evolves into all forms of further sexual deviancy.
Fourth, “God gives them over to a debased mind,” (Romans 1:28). God allows the people, not unlike Babel and Sodom and Gomorrah, to have what they want. God gives a culture over to what that culture desires.
God has made all of us a free people. God gives us what we want. He blesses and He judges based on our desires. As we look at the decay of the American Culture, we observe that God backs off and allows the Enemy to work freely within the desires of the people. We certainly observe this in America today. God’s judgement is over America.
Leading Indicators of the Judgment of God
- The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world and the largest total prison population on the entire globe.
- More pornography is created in the United States than anywhere else on the entire globe. Eighty-nine percent is made in the U.S.A. and only eleven percent is made in the rest of the world.
- The United States has the highest divorce rate on the globe by a wide margin.
- The United States has the highest rate of illegal drug use on the entire planet.
- There are more car thefts in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world, by far.
- There are more reported rapes in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world.
- There are more reported murders in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world.
- There are more total crimes in the United States each year than anywhere else in the world.
- The United States has more people on pharmaceutical drugs than any other country on the planet.
- The percentage of women taking antidepressants in America is higher than in any other country in the world.
Invigorated to Pray
But I’m actually not discouraged. Rather, I am invigorated to pray! I love our nation and even, in spite of the obvious Judgment of God over America, I believe God is merciful in His discipline and I firmly believe, He is not done with the purposes for which this nation was founded. It is my conviction that God desires to bring a revolution of the Kingdom of God to our nation. I’m praying for that to happen in my life. I personally want a Kingdom Revolution. May it begin in me!
Would you begin to take time every day to seek God in prayer for a Kingdom Revolution? Would you pull away from your busy schedule and cry out to God for a mighty visitation of His Spirit over yourself, your pastor and your church? Nothing less will save our country.
Praying and believing,
Steve Holt M.A., D.D.